Today anyone can live in a smart home, it just takes a few key essentials…like Nanoleaf Essentials Bulbs and Lightstrips!
Making your home smart is as simple as switching out your light bulbs! The Essentials smart lightbulbs fit in existing lighting fixtures (smart or not). And the Lightstrips allow you to illuminate every nook and cranny that traditional lighting (like a lightbulb) may not be able to reach—try them behind your TV, desk, and even under your kitchen counter!
For the best experience download Nanoleaf’s Mobile App (available in iOS and Android) and/or Desktop App! And unlock even more special features (like voice commands) when you use Essentials with smart assistants—taking your lighting to the next level.
Learn how to connect Nanoleaf Essentials lightbulbs and lightstrips with these smart assistants so you can enjoy a more custom smart home:
- Apple HomeKit & Siri
- Google Home With Seamless Setup & Google Assistant App
- Amazon Alexa
- Samsung SmartThings & Bixby
Without further ado, here’s how to set up your Essentials lights with your smart home assistant(s)!
1. Nanoleaf Essentials With Apple HomeKit & Siri
“Hey Siri, can you connect to my Nanoleaf Essentials?”…yes!
You can easily connect your Apple device to your smart lights. To do this, you’ll need an Apple HomeKit device that acts as a Home Hub like a HomePod mini, Apple TV, or iPad (and your Essentials lights of course). So take a second to collect your devices!
Now that you have everything, you’re ready to pair your HomeKit device with your Essentials smart lights. Simply follow these steps:
- Make sure your Essentials lights are connected to power, and that your HomeKit device is paired to your smartphone.
- Open the Home app, and tap the “+” symbol at the top of the screen.
- Tap “Add an accessory,” and enter the pairing code for your Essentials device. The pairing code can be found on the back of the controller for the Essentials lightstrips, and by the side of the base on the Essentials bulbs. You can either use the camera to scan it, or manually enter the 8 digit pairing code.
- It’ll take a moment to connect, then you can choose a room location to place the light.
- Give a custom name to your Essentials light which can be used for voice commands. We recommend that you don’t include the room name in the light’s name, because saying the room name will control all devices in the room.
- Tap “Continue” and you’ll be able to choose different lighting automations.
- Tap “Continue” again, then “Done” and your Essentials device will now be connected to the Home App, and Siri!
All that’s left to do is test it, “Hey Siri, set the living room lights to Date Night” and then cue the music!
2. Experience Essentials Lights with Google
“Hey, ok Goo Goo!!”…“set my light to wake up at 7:30 AM!”
Whether you’re looking to control your Nanoleaf Essentials from a physical Google smart hub, through voice commands, or with one of the Google apps, we have you covered.
Connect To Nest Devices And Try The Google Home App Using Seamless Setup
This is for those of you with Google Nest devices like the Google Home, Home Mini, and Nest Audio.
Gather your smartphone, Essentials lights (connected to power), Google Home Hub Device, and open the Google Home app. Follow these steps for a Seamless Setup:
- In the top left corner of the Google Home app tap the “+” button, then “Set up device”, followed by “Set up new devices.”
- Choose a home to set up your Essential lights, and tap “Next.”
- Select “Set up smart lights” and choose the lights that you want to connect. Once they’re selected, they will blink.
- Pick the room your lights are in and when you’re done, click “Next.”
- Now the fun part! Create a name for your light that can be used for voice commands. Similar to the Apple steps, we recommend that you don’t include the room name in the light’s name. Saying the room name will control all devices in the room.
- Tap “Next” once you’ve chosen a name, and your light will begin to set up.
- Select “Done” at the bottom right corner, and you’re good to go!
Manage Your Smart Home Hands-Free With The Google Assistant App
If you’re using the Google Assistant App, we have the solution for you too:
- Tap on your username icon at the top right corner of the dashboard.
- Scroll down, and select “Home Control.” Then, tap the plus button at the bottom right to add a device.
- Search for Nanoleaf Smarter Series, then you’ll be redirected to a login page. Enter your Nanoleaf account info, then tap “Allow” to let Google control your Nanoleaf devices. Once it’s finished loading, tap “Back” in the top left corner, and you’ll notice that your Essentials device is now connected.
- If you select it, you can give it a nickname for voice commands!
3. Using Amazon Alexa with Essentials Smart Lights
“Hey Alexa, can you dim my Kitchen Counter lights to 50% please”… you bet she can!
Yet another leading lady in the world of smart home assistants, Alexa can certainly help set the mood for any occasion—perfect for a dinner party (I’ll bring the dessert).
One important thing to note though, to connect your Essentials to Amazon Alexa you’ll need a Thread Border Router. You’re in luck because our Nanoleaf Lines, Shapes, and Elements can all act as a Thread Border Router for your devices. Thread is the newest in smart technology, it allows for a wider range as well as better and faster connectivity. To use it, you need a device with a Thread Border Router such as Nanoleaf Lines, Shapes, Elements, or Apple’s HomePod Mini if you prefer. Read more about Thread.
For those of you with an appreciation for Amazon Alexa, proceed with the following steps to pair them with your Nanoleaf Essentials (which should be turned on):
- Open the Alexa App, and tap the “Devices” tab at the bottom.
- Hit the “+” button at the top right corner, followed by “Your Smart Home Skills.”
- Tap “Enable Smart Home Skills” at the bottom, and then look for Nanoleaf in the options.
- Select it, then tap “Enable to use.” You’ll then be redirected to a login for your Nanoleaf account.
- Enter your info, and tap “Allow” to let Alexa control your device.
- Alexa will then look for devices to connect, and once it’s complete, tap “Done” in the bottom.
- If you tap “Lights” in the “Device” tab, your Essentials lights should be connected through Alexa! Now the tricky part…apple or blueberry pie for the dinner party?
4. Essentials With Samsung SmartThings & Bixby
“Hi Bixby, turn on all of the lights in the Home!”
Last but certainly not least, Bixby the smart butler is at your beck and call. To allow them to help with your smart lights, pair your Nanoleaf Essentials to Samsung SmartThings.
You’ll also need a Thread Border Router to use your Nanoleaf Essentials with Samsung SmartThings—Nanoleaf Lines, Shapes, and Elements all have one built-in. If you missed the small section on Thread, see the part on Amazon Alexa above. Once you have everything collected, plugged in, and turned on then follow these steps:
- Open the SmarterThings app, and tap the ‘+’ to add a device in the top right corner.
- Scroll down and select “Lighting,” scroll down again and select “Nanoleaf,” then tap “Nanoleaf Smarter Series.”
- You’ll be redirected to the Nanoleaf account login page. Enter your account info, then press “Login.”
- On the next page, tap “Allow” to let Samsung control your devices.
- Tap “Done” when your connection is established, then tap “Done” again in the bottom right corner.
- Press the back button, until you reach the main dashboard, and now you’re all set on SmarterThings!
Connect To Smart Assistants With Just The Nanoleaf App & Devices
I may have embellished when I said Bixby was last but if you’ve made it this far you may as well stick around and learn about this last method (I saved the best for last 😉).
This one is for the Nanoleaf fans, you won’t need any external smart home hub or speaker! You’ll need the Nanoleaf App, your Nanoleaf Essentials, and a Thread Border Router (if I’ve lost you here I explain in the Amazon Alexa section above) along with the mobile smart assistant app of your choice. You can try this with the Google Assistant app, Amazon Alexa, and Samsung SmartThings.
Start by making sure all of the firmware on each of your Nanoleaf devices is updated to 6.1.2+. Check for firmware updates by simply opening the Nanoleaf App, and tapping the 3 dots at the bottom right. Then select “Firmware updates,” and ensure your Nanoleaf device is on firmware 6.1.2 or newer!
Now that you’re all updated, let’s get to syncing:
- Still in the Nanoleaf App, and click the “More” tab (or the three dots at the bottom right corner).
- Log into your cloud account which should display your user name at the top of the menu, and have cloud sync on.
- Click the Thread Network option in the menu, and check to make sure that your Essentials and one of your Thread Border Router devices (Nanoleaf Lines, Shapes, Elements, or Apple’s HomePod mini) are connected. Both need to be connected for this to work!
- Then in your respective smart assistant apps, you should be able to find the Nanoleaf Smarter Series.
- Use a Nanoleaf cloud account to log in, discover and select your Essentials device and you’ll be ready!
So get to it and see just how far you can customize your smart home with your Nanoleaf Essentials and Smart Assistants! Just remember… bright lights mean dust will be more visible so try to stay on top of the cleaning.
Which smart assistants do you like to use best with your Nanoleaf Essentials? We’d love to hear about it! Also, find us on Instagram @nanoleaf, Twitter @nanoleaf, or Facebook @thenanoleaf and join the Nanoleaf Community.