Hello 2022! In this day and age technology is as hot as ever! Perhaps you’re on the fence about how far you want to dive in, but if you’re like me it’s probably because you need to do more research. So let me help with that—in this article, I’ll share 4 reasons why you should turn your house into a smart home, and even a few extra things to keep in mind before you do.
First, what makes a home smart? A smart home doesn’t have to be that complicated, you only really need a few smart home devices to simplify your life. These devices can be smart home hubs like Apple’s HomePod mini, Amazon’s Echo, or the Google Nest Hub Max but they can also help fulfill a more basic function like lighting. You can find smart lights that can replace a typical lightbulb such as the Nanoleaf Essentials Bulbs. If you want to get a little fancier, create your own lighting installations with Nanoleaf Shapes, Canvas, Elements, and Lines light panels, and bars. One thing’s for sure though, regardless of the device, there are some clear benefits you can look forward to. So let’s jump into them!
Make Your House A Home By Customizing Your Space
This is first on my list because it’s in my opinion the largest draw. To keep it short and sweet, there are just so many customization opportunities available to you when you welcome smart home devices into your life. Set your devices to cater to you, whether that means scheduling your Nanoleaf lights to turn on in the morning for a gentle wake-up call, or off automatically whenever you leave the house. You can even take the degree of customization one step further when you use different smart devices and applications together such as voice commands with any smart home hub, or automation with IFTTT for features like setting them to display the weather forecast, or having them remind you of important meetings with different lighting effects. If you use your products to the fullest they can practically become your personal assistant!
Fortify Your Fortress And Find Comfort In Security
With added technology there often comes this fear of reduced security, but what if I told you you can use technology to increase it!! There are so many smart devices out there that contribute to your personal safety such as Ring Cameras. Ring offers indoor, outdoor, and doorbell cameras so you can keep a close eye on every part of your home. There are also options for smart locks like Yale Assure Lock Touchscreen Deadbolt. Connect them with your smartphone for mobile control and you’ll have peace of mind for your home no matter where you go.
Cater To Yourself And Create A Self-Care Oasis
As you may have noticed, a major benefit of smart technology is that it caters to you—mind and soul included. Since we spend so much of our time at home, these spaces must be optimized for self-expression and relaxation. Some like to garden, in which case I think a smart garden is perfect for you! Others may find peace in aromatherapy diffusers or smart speakers for tranquil tunes. However, in my opinion, one of the largest opportunities for improvement in personal wellness is sleep! Smart lighting like Nanoleaf Essentials helps improve your quality of sleep with features like Circadian Lighting—which automatically adjusts the color temperature of your lights throughout the day to sync up with the sun and help regulate your circadian rhythm so your body is ready to rest when it’s bedtime.
Strive For Sustainability When Possible
Today’s world is a social and environmentally conscious one—extending into the smart home world. Look at some of the basic features of your home and ask yourself if there’s a way to cut down on consumption (and save money too)…the answer is yes there is! Here are two easy ways to save on heating/air conditioning and lighting for your home:
- • Nest’s Learning Thermostat adapts to the season and your schedule, automatically adjusting heating and cooling when you’re present or away. Save up to 12% in heating and 15% in cooling bills, and track these savings in the Nest App.
- • Nanoleaf Essentials smart LED Bulbs are Energy Star Rated and can replace any regular A19 bulb; so it really is a simple switch. Here’s where you’ll see the major differences: cut power usage by around 1/4 on average, enjoy longer-lasting and brighter light bulbs, and customize beloved spaces with the added benefit of 16M+ color options.
While there are still many more benefits to converting your house to a smart home, that’s my short list of some of the most enticing ones.
And as promised, I also have some things for you to keep in mind before diving into the smart home “deep end”:
- • Many smart home devices connect through your Wi-Fi network, so it’s important to ensure good connectivity and range allowing the Wi-Fi to reach every corner of your space to get the most out of these products.
- • Make sure any gadgets you invest in are compatible with the ones you already have for the most cohesive experience. Many brands have their own exclusive smart home ecosystems, but some of these products may be compatible with other brands as well. So definitely do your research before pulling the trigger.
- • This point is a bit more technical but look for companies that are investing time and energy in forward-looking technologies like Thread and Matter. These two emerging technology standards are set to shape the future of smart homes—enabling faster speeds, unrivaled reliability, and better product interoperability, so that’s one train that you’ll want you and your home to be on for the future.