So you’ve got your favorite Nanoleaf products and set up your dream layout—now it’s time to bring your smart home features to life with the Nanoleaf App! Whether you have our iconic light panels (Elements, Shapes, Canvas), Essentials Bulb and Lightstrips or our newest product, Lines, the app lets you completely customize your lights and fully experience all of our amazing and unique features. Without further ado, here’s a quick walkthrough of all the useful and fun features that the Nanoleaf App has to offer!
When you first open your Nanoleaf App, you’ll be prompted to pair your device. Pairing will allow you to control your lights from your phone or tablet and give you access to some extra special features! Here are some quick guides where you can learn more about pairing for your iOS or Android device:
All About the Dashboard
Once you’re paired, you’ll be taken to the app Dashboard which is your home screen in the app. The Dashboard displays all of your rooms and devices in the ‘Rooms’ tab for quick and easy access! To move a device to a different room or reorder devices within a room you can select the ‘pencil’ icon in the top right corner and then drag your devices to the desired location!
From the Dashboard, you can also turn on or off an entire room at once and adjust the brightness of your lights. The second tab on the Dashboard is the ‘Group Scene’ tab—here you can activate a Scene across multiple devices with a single tap!
When you return to the main Dashboard, at the bottom you’ll find different tabs that will help to give you the full product experience:
- In the ‘Discover’ tab, you can download thousands of new Scenes and Playlists created officially by Nanoleaf or by the Nanoleaf Community. You can even upload custom Scenes of your own to share with others to download! You can also find downloadable Touch Games such as ‘PacMan’ and ‘Memory’ by searching for Interactive Scenes.
- In the ‘Explore’ tab, you can find out more about new features, other products, and integrations.
- In the ‘Schedules’ tab, you can set Schedules for your lights to automatically turn on and off at specific times to fit your lifestyle. Tap the ‘+’ button to add a new Schedule or the ‘toggle’ button to turn existing Schedules on or off.
- In the ‘More’ tab, you can log into your Nanoleaf Cloud account for added benefits like remote access, integration and improved reliability. This is also where you can add additional devices and homes, update your firmware, or use the Layout Assistant to create virtual designs that you can preview in your spaces using Augmented Reality.
Create Your Own Dynamic Lighting Scenes
Going back to the ‘Rooms’ tab, tap on a device to enter its control screen. Here you can see all the default and custom Scenes that are currently on your device! With Scenes, you can paint your space with preset lighting Scenes (Color Scenes and Rhythm Scenes) to fit any mood at any time of the day! You can even create and upload your own using the Scene Creator which includes 16M+ color options, a color wheel, hex code inputs, and motion selector for lighting animations. Tap a Scene to activate it or slide the Scene with your finger to rename, edit or delete that Scene. To add a Scene you have two options:
- Tap ‘Basic’ to set a single static color or tunable white across your entire layout.
- Tap ‘Scene’ to create either a:
- Paint Scene: paint each panel in a different color
- Dynamic Scene: choose animated color transitions (tapping the adjustment slider will give you the option to change the speed of your animations)
PRO TIP: You can also make a combination of static and dynamic Scenes with Layered Scenes.
Experience Unique Touch Actions and Touch Gestures
If you have a touch-enabled device (such as Shapes, Elements and Canvas), you can tap the settings button in the top right corner to set up Touch Actions or Touch Gestures.
Touch Actions transform each light panel into a touch reactive smart button, allowing for the most seamless control of your entire smart home. With as little as a single press on a panel, activate Scenes or control any of your HomeKit products at once (see it in action here).
Touch Gestures can be used to change brightness, control Scenes or turn your light panels on and off with customizable swipes and taps right on the panel themselves! You can find more about this feature here. Also, with the touch paint feature, you’re able to adjust the the brightness of the color the longer you hold each panel. If you want a new color, simply swipe across the panel and even mix colors together—exactly like how you would with real paint!
Now you’re officially a Nanoleaf App expert! Time to control your lights at the palm of your hands and truly discover all the amazing and unique features Nanoleaf has to offer.
What’s your favorite Nanoleaf App feature? Share your experience with us!